Carter's Charity Primary School




The "rule of 6" which was introduced nationwide on Monday (September 14) already limits the number of people who can gather indoors or outdoors to six. This rule is in place across the country and will sit alongside additional restrictions in local areas.


What areas do the new measures cover?

Everywhere in Lancashire except Blackpool.


What are the new measures?

From Tuesday 22 September

  • Residents must not socialise with other people outside of their household or protective support bubble in private homes or gardens.
  • Hospitality for food and drink must operate table service only.
  • Leisure and entertainment venues, including restaurants, pubs and cinemas, must close between 10pm and 5am

Residents are also advised to follow the below guidelines to further reduce the spread of the virus:

  • Only use public transport for essential journeys – such as travelling to school or work. A face covering must be worn on public transport unless you are exempt.
  • Avoid attending amateur and semi-professional sporting events as spectators.

Residents are urged to only visit indoor locations such as restaurants and pubs places with other members of their household or support bubble.


Why are the new measures being introduced?

These measures will help to address the significant rise in coronavirus cases in the region in recent weeks.

There is an increased risk of transmission the more people who gather together. Our data shows an increased rate of transmission in homes, hospitality venues and through grassroot sports. We are doing everything we can to protect our most vulnerable, keep businesses open and children in school, which these measures will help with.


How long will it last?

The measures start from Tuesday 22 September and will be monitored closely and reviewed on a weekly basis. The next steps will depend on the impact the measures have.


Who is allowed into my home?

You must not meet people who you do not live with or are part of a protective support bubble inside your home. However, there are a number of exceptions to this rule listed below:

  • To provide emergency assistance
  • To attend a birth at the mother’s request
  • To visit a person who is dying
  • To fulfil a legal obligation
  • For work, volunteering or charitable purposes
  • For education or training purposes
  • For the purposes of childcare provided by a registered provider
  • To provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person
  • To facilitate a house move (this includes viewing a property)
  • To continue existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children where the children do not live in the same household as one or more of their parents.


What is a support bubble?

For the latest information and guidelines on support bubbles visit:


Are residents required to shield?

For the latest information and guidelines on shielding visit:


Do these measures affect education?

No. Schools, colleges and universities remain open and are operating in a COVID-secure way.


Can I travel for work or schools?

Yes. People can travel in or out of Lancashire for work and education purposes. Workplaces and schools should be implementing COVID-secure measures.


Do these measures affect childcare?

You can continue to use early years and childcare settings, including childminders and providers offering before or after school clubs or other out-of-school settings for children. You can also continue to employ nannies, including those living outside of the region.

Children of parents who are separated can continue to move between households.


Can I visit someone’s house in an area not subject to restrictions?

You must not visit anyone’s home either within or out of the restricted area except for your support bubble or for the excepted reasons listed above.


Why can I visit the pub but not my relative’s house?

This is because the hospitality industry has enhanced measures, such as risk assessments and test and trace, which private homes don’t have.


What are the changes for hospitality venues?

Hospitality venues must close between 10pm and 5am.

During open hours businesses must operate table service only including ordering food and drinks


Can I go to the gym, gym class or a swimming pool?

Yes, as long as these venues have the required Covid-secure risk assessments and guidelines in place.


Can I still meet people outside of my household or support bubble in a pub, café or restaurant?

If you live in an area that was not already in local restrictions, the government advice is to only visit these venues with other members of your household (or support bubble).

You can find out more specific information for your area here:


Can I still meet people outside of my household or support bubble in public outdoor spaces?

The Government advice is to avoid mixing with any additional household in any location to further decrease the risk of spreading the virus.


Can I have someone in my house (or go into someone’s house) to do repairs or other work?

Official/registered tradespeople can go to other people’s homes for work purposes as long as you follow national guidance on how to work safely there.


What about public transport and car sharing?

Residents are advised to only use public transport for essential purposes, such as travelling to school or work. Face coverings must be worn unless exempt.

You are advised not to share a car with those outside your household or support bubble, and to use public transport for essential journeys instead.

Testing - who can be tested and where

Nationally, testing is becoming a real issue with confusion about who can access a test and where they can access it from.


To address this, attached below are links to summarise where testing can be accessed and in what circumstances for essential or key workers.


Essential or key workers are jobs and roles defined by the Government as key to our care, health and which provide essential services to ensure we can continue to have food, shelter and medication. This includes teachers - see the full list of essential workers via the link below. All essential workers with symptoms, or anyone living with them with symptoms, can apply for a test. These take priority over the general public.


As essential workers you should notify your employer if you are having to self-isolate with symptoms. Your employer may refer you through the employer referral portal or you may be asked to self-refer.


To access a test, employers are asked to register at to obtain a dedicated log-in. They will then be able to upload the names and contact details of self-isolating essential workers. If referred through this portal, key workers will receive a text message with a unique invitation code to book a test for themselves (if symptomatic) or their symptomatic household members at a regional testing site or mobile testing unit or to be sent a home testing kit.

If you choose a drive-through you will be directed to a testing centre, where you must follow the rules that apply. 


You must have an appointment; if you turn up at a testing centre without an appointment you will be turned away.


Parents of children who have suspected Covid-19 should also be advised that they should not present at a test centre but will need to arrange an appointment in advance.

Absence for Covid-19: A guide for parents and carers

Letter sent home, Thursday 10th September 2020


Dear Parents,


Following on from the news conference yesterday and the updated advice regarding social distancing, I have decided to make amendments to our current school procedures. The new slogan for government advice is:


Our response to this and the increased infection rate both nationally and, more importantly, locally is to ask the following of all of you:

  • maintain a 2m distance from other people when you are on site. Markings have been put down to help with this but please keep your distance from each other.
  • limit it to one person dropping off or collecting your child(ren) at any one time to reduce congestion
  • If you are bringing a child to school in your car who is not part of your household or agreed support bubble, all adults in the vehicle must wear a mask and the windows of the car opened to maintain adequate ventilation. This is to comply with the guidance from the government:

  • ALL adults, and children 12 and over, entering the school site MUST wear a face mask when dropping off and collecting children, unless you have a medical exemption. If you have no mask or no exemption notice:
  • MORNINGS: you will be asked to encourage your child to enter school without you and make their own way to their class entrance point
  • EVENINGS: you will be asked to wait outside school until all families have left and your child(ren) will be brought down the drive to meet you.


There is a set of three “levers” that are in use to help slow and stop the spread of infection:

Test & Trace

This is problematic currently as testing is slow and not as effective as it should be. News reports share headlines of people having to travel long distances to access a public testing facility. The one piece of advice that I have seen is that if you need to try and book a test and you are given a centre a distance from home, come out of the system and go back in and try again.

Public Behaviour

This is where you play your part. Please do not mix in groups larger than 6. Please keep your distance from people not in your household. Please wear a mask when asked to.


This is a new area with the prime minister announcing the setting up of “Covid Secure Marshals”. As a school, if we learn of behaviour or actions that may put other members of our school community at risk, we may have to act accordingly.


On the reverse of this letter I am re-sharing the procedures that we must all follow if we have concerns over family infection. We will always follow this procedure. I want to take this opportunity to thank you for the patience and co-operation that you have shown so far.


Best wishes,

What to do if Your Child Shows Symptoms of COVID-19

If your child falls ill at school, you will be contacted to collect them.




If your child develops any of the 3 following symptoms, whether at school or at home, your child must self-isolate for 7 days and you must arrange a test for your child.


  • a new persistent cough
  • loss of taste or smell
  • a high temperature

If your child seems very unwell, is getting worse or you think there's something seriously wrong, call 999.


If your child does not have any of the COVID-19 symptoms but does;

  • Feel unwell but has a temperature of less than 37.8c,
  • Vomit or has diarrhoea,
  • Have a sore throat,
  • Have a loss of appetite,
  • Have a rash,
  • Have fatigue / aches,
  • or have any other general illnesses or is feeling unwell....


you are advised to monitor the child closely.


If any of the 3 main COVID-19 symptoms develop you must follow the government guidance on self-isolation and arrange a test for your child.


The school will contact you after 48 hours to check if your child has been COVID-19 symptom free.
If your child does not develop one of the 3 main COVID-19 symptoms, they can return to school 48 hours after the initial symptoms occurred. 


All children and members of their households in England have access to testing if they display symptoms of coronavirus, including children under 5. A positive test will ensure rapid action to protect other children and staff in their setting.

Tests can be accessed through the NHS website or by calling 119.

Urgent advice: Use the 111 online coronavirus service if you have any of:

  • high temperature
  • new, continuous cough
  • loss or change to your sense of smell or taste


111 will tell you what to do and help you get a test if you need one.


Use the 111 online coronavirus service. Call 111 if you cannot get help online. Do not go to places like a GP surgery, hospital or pharmacy.

Babies and children
Call 111 if you're worried about a baby or child under 5.

If your child seems very unwell, is getting worse or you think there's something seriously wrong, call 999.

Do not delay getting help if you're worried. Trust your instincts.
Get more advice about coronavirus in children here.
Anyone who tests positive for coronavirus will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace and will need to share information about their recent interactions. This could include household members, people with whom they have been in direct contact, or within 2 metres for more than 15 minutes.
People identified as having been in close contact with someone who has a positive test must stay at home for 14 days, even if they do not have symptoms, to stop unknowingly spreading the virus. Further information about Test and Trace is available here.
If those in isolation develop symptoms, they can book a test on the NHS website or by calling 119.
If they test positive, they must continue to stay at home for 7 days or until their symptoms have passed. If they test negative, they must complete the 14-day isolation period. Members of their household will not have to stay at home unless the person identified becomes symptomatic, at which point they must also self-isolate for 14 days to avoid unknowingly spreading the virus.
If you need medical advice about your symptoms visit the NHS 111 online coronavirus service or call 111.