Carter's Charity Primary School

School SEN Information Report (November 2020)

SEN Information Report (November 2020)

SEN information Report

November 2020

Ratified:                       26th November 2020

To be reviewed:          before end of 2021



All maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by Lancashire LA, along with other agencies and providers, to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.

All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.

The four broad ‘areas of need’ are:

  • Communication and Interaction
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
  • Sensory and Physical Needs.


What is the Local Offer?

  • The Children and Families Act (2014), placed a requirement for Local Authorities and schools to publish and keep under review information about services they are able to offer for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.
  • The aim of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It is also an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.


The School SEN Information Report

This utilizes the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEN pupils as determined by school policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet.


Your Child has Special Educational Needs. What can we at Carter’s Charity Primary School offer you?


At Carter’s Charity Primary School, we embrace the fact that every child is different, and, therefore, the educational needs of every child is different; this is certainly the case for children with Special Educational Needs.




Who are the best people at Carter’s to talk to about my child’s difficulties with learning or their Special Educational Needs/Disability(SEND)?


The class teacher

Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo) know as necessary.
  • Writing Pupil Progress targets/Individual Education Plans (IEPs), based on the smaller steps outlined in PIVATS (Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting), and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Personalized teaching and learning for your child as identified on the school’s provision map.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEN Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEN.


The SENCo/Inclusion Manager: Mrs Janina Callery

Responsible for:

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEN policy.
  • Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Ensuring that you are

i) involved in supporting your child’s learning

ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting

iii) involved in reviewing how they are doing.

  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology.
  • Updating the school’s SEN register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.


The Head teacher: Mr Brendan Hassett

Responsible for:

  • The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • The Head teacher will give responsibility to the SENCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • The Head teacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.


The SEN Governor: Mrs Sarah Strahan

Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school.



A range of support packages are routinely used dependent upon the needs of the child and the aspects of learning being focussed upon. These can be:


  1. Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).
    1. For your child this would mean
      1. That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
      2. That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
      3. That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
      4. That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
      5. Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  2. Specific group work
    1. Intervention which may be
      1. Run in the classroom or a group room.
      2. Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).
  3. Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy
    1. This means a pupil has been identified by the SENCo/Inclusion Manager/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from
      1. Local Authority central services, such as the ASD Outreach Team, Behaviour Support Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
      2. Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS).
    2. What could happen:
      1. You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
      2. The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.
  4. Specified Individual support
    1. This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.
    2. This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.
    3. This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.
    4. Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from
      1. Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team, Behaviour Support or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
      2. Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.
    5. For your child this would mean
      1. The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
      2. After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
      3. After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
      4. The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child.
      5. The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.





If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.


If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo).


The Headteacher and/or school SEN Governor can also be contacted for support.




If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • Listen to any concerns you may have.
  • Plan any additional support your child may need.
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child.



The school budget, received through Lancashire, includes money for supporting children with SEN.


The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors on the basis of needs in the school.


The Head Teacher and the SENCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

  • the children getting extra support already,
  • the children needing extra support,
  • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.


From this information, they decide what resources/training and support is needed.


The school identifies the needs of SEN pupils on a provision map. This identifies all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of children are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible.





School provision

  • Teachers responsible for teaching SEN groups/individuals on a part-time basis.
  • Teaching Assistants mainly working with either individual children or small groups.
  • ICT support in the form of writing and maths programmes. IDL is a programme for supporting those children with recognised Dyslexic needs or those with dyslexic tendencies. This is delivered by trained teaching assistants during small group or individual sessions, according to need. There is also some self-directed time in support of their work on the programme. We are also awaiting release of a similar programme aimed at supporting children with Dyscalculic needs.
  • Trained staff offer support for children with emotional and social development through a range of sessions using a variety of materials and support.


Local Authority Provision delivered in school

  • Autism Outreach Service
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Parent Partnership Service
  • SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)


Health Provision delivered in school

  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • CAMHs (for children with identified emotional or mental health issues)





The SENCo’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN.


The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEN. This includes whole school training on SEN issues, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and speech and language difficulties.


Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.




Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class (including using PIVAT targets) and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.


Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.


Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.


Planning (including that for specific PIVAT targets) and teaching will be adapted, on a daily basis if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs.




Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher.


His/her progress will be reviewed formally with the Headteacher and SENCo every term in reading, writing and Maths.


If your child is in Reception or above, a more sensitive assessment tool can be used, which shows their attainment in more detail – breaking learning down into smaller steps (PIVATS – Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting).


At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6), all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.


Where necessary, children will have an IEP based on PIVATS (Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting) or based on targets set by outside agencies specific to their needs. Targets will be set using these PIVAT levels and designed to accelerate learning and close the gap. Progress against these targets will be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgements assessed and a future plan made.


The progress of children with a statement of SEN/EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.


The SENCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.


Regular book scrutinies and lesson observations will be carried out by the SENCo and other members of the Senior Leadership Team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.





The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.


The Inclusion SENCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.


All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.


Personal progress targets /IEPs/ IBPs will be reviewed with your involvement every term.


Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual requirements.


A home-school contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.


Each term, you will receive a written report about your child’s progress and attitude to their own learning. At the end of the term, there will be a consultation evening for you to come into school with your child to meet with the class teacher to discuss the report, their targets and any plans to improve further.




  • The school is fully compliant with DDA requirements.
  • The front desk has a wheel-chair height section and is DDA compliant.
  • There is a disabled toilet, shower area and changing facilities.
  • We ensure where ever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After-school provision is accessible to all children, including those with SEN.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEN.


How will we support your child:

    1. when they are joining our school?
    2. when they are leaving our school?
    3. When they are moving to a new class?


We recognize that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEN, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.


          1. If your child is joining us from another school:
  • The SENCo will visit pre-schools with the Foundation Stage Leader when appropriate.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.
  • Your child will be able to visit our school and stay for a few taster sessions, if this is appropriate.
  • Connections are strong with our local pre-schools/nurseries, and staff regularly visit these to meet with staff and children.


          1. If your child is moving to another school:
  • We will contact the school SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.


          1. When moving classes in school:
  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. IEP s will be shared with the new teacher.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.
  • Opportunities are built into the school year for children to work with staff other than those in the class they are in that school year.
  • We also arrange a time towards the end of the year when the children spend a session with their “new” (to be) teacher.


In Year 6:

  • The SENCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCo of the child’s secondary school. In most cases, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
  • Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.



We recognize that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and being uncommunicative.


All classes follow a structured PSHE (Personal, Social, Health end Economic education) curriculum to support this development. However, for those children who find aspects of this difficult we offer:

  • An in-school nurture provision, run by highly trained teachers and teaching assistants. We follow two well established and valued programmes: “Emotion Works” and “Fabulous Me”.
  • A club for children to learn how to co-operate with one another in a small group and be responsible for looking after a living environment.
  • Lunchtime and playtime support through planned activities and groups.


If your child still needs extra support, with your permission the SENCo will access further support through the CAF (Common Assessment Framework) process.